SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award 2019
The future of oncology is fuelled by efforts of outstanding researchers and their research teams. Innovative preclinical and clinical research projects will continuously improve our knowledge in oncology and address emerging challenges.
Research is a continuous professional and personal commitment, therefore, SAKK’s and Astellas’ intent is to motivate and honor young researcher on this important journey.
To further preclinical and clinical oncology research in Switzerland, SAKK and Astellas team up to confer a Swiss GU-Oncology Award. A researcher will be awarded as representative of a research group or project for an outstanding scientific and/or clinical achievement documented by a scientific publication (published paper or accepted manuscript in a peer-reviewed journal).
The focus of the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award lies on potential tangible improvements for patient management and outcomes in the treatment of genitourinary cancers.
The award is endowed with CHF 30’000.- and should encourage the continuation of research activities. Hence the awarded sum is to be used for ongoing and future research within the respective research group or project.
Call for Applications Closed
Prior to your application, please carefully read the applicable Award Rules. In case of questions, please do not hesitate to contact the coordinating person at the SAKK.
Please send your application until Saturday, September 30th, 2019.
Full applications must be sent via e-mail to email@example.com and shall include:
- Curriculum Vitae of the candidate
- Letter of support, which shall emphasize and highlight the scientific and/or clinical achievement of thecandidate relevant to the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award
- Relevant publication or manuscript (published paper or accepted manuscript in a peer-reviewed journal)
- Publication list of the candidate relevant to this award
- If applicable, any other relevant information or documentation
An independent jury of experts, elected by the SAKK president, will evaluate the submitted applications based on (i) alignment with the scope of the award, (ii) scientific quality, (iii) national and (iv) international (future) scientific and/or clinical impact, and (v) innovative potential and novelty.
For more details please view the applicable Award Rules.
The winner of the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award 2019 will be announced and awarded during the next SAKK Semi-Annual Meeting, taking place at the Marriott Hotel in Zurich on November 21st, 2019.
Astellas Pharma AG distributes the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award with the support of the Swiss Group of Clinical Cancer Research (SAKK) and the support of an independent jury at the SAKK Semi-Annual Meeting, taking place at the Marriott Hotel in Zurich on November 21st, 2019. The award will be conferred to an eligible candidate, who may be a surgeon, physician or scientist, active in genitourinary oncology research within Switzerland. The research project must have been accepted or published in a peer-reviewed journal within the past 24 months (until application deadline). The winner will be awarded as representative of a research group or project for outstanding scientific and/or clinical achievements within the thematic focus of the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award 2019.
- An eligible candidate must fulfill the following criteria:
- Researcher – this may be a surgeon, physician or scientists – currently active in preclinical orclinical urogenital cancer research in Switzerland. The minimum requirement is a research activity in Switzerland from January 1st to December 31st, 2019
- Principal investigator, research group head or researcher with a leading role in a research project
- Under 45 years of age as of December 31st, 2019
- Candidates can nominate themselves
- The candidate must submit the complete candidature and documentation to the coordinating person at the SAKK until September 30th, 2019:
- Recent Curriculum Vitae of the candidate
- Letter of support written, dated and signed. The letter of support shall emphasize and highlight thescientific and/or clinical achievements of the candidate and the respective research group or projectrelevant to the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award 2019
- Publication list relevant to the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award
- Publications may be primary research or review articles
- The candidate must be an author on all publications
- Publications must have been published in the period 2014-2019 in a peer-reviewed journal or mustbe accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal
- Any other information if applicable
- The application must be submitted in English
- Resubmission of applications that did not win in past editions are permitted as long as eligibility criteria aremet
- Applications must be sent via e-mail to the responsible person of the Swiss Group of Clinical Cancer Research (SAKK), Ms. Tanja Brauen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Evaluation of Applications
- An independent jury composed of 2-3 Swiss experts and the SAKK President. The SAKK President chairs the jury. Hemay delegate a member of the SAKK Board to chair the jury (for example if conflict of interest occurs). Employees of Astellas must not be part of the jury
- Jury members must not evaluate applications of their own institution or university
- Project proposals will be evaluated only if they are deemed to be eligible and feasible
- The independent jury will evaluate the submitted valid applications on a scale from 1-10 (1 = worst, 10 = best) for each of the following criteria:
- Alignment with scope of award, i.e. potential tangible improvements for patient management and outcomesin the treatment of genitourinary tumors
- Scientific quality
- National (future) scientific and/or clinical impact of research achievements
- International (future) scientific and/or clinical impact of research achievements
- Innovative potential and novelty
- The jury head shall identify the top scoring application, based on calculated mean values for each application
- The jury elects the winner based on the evaluation scoring. In case different applicants achieve the samescoring, the top scoring applications shall be discussed amongst the jury members. The jury shall elect 1 winnerby consensus. In case consensus cannot be reached, the chairman has the final decision
- The jury is free and independent in its decisions. Its decisions are final and not subject to appeal
- If additional scientific expertise is needed the SAKK president can request written evaluations from additional reviewers
- The SAKK and Astellas Pharma AG may waive the award of the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award if the jury considers none of the submitted applications worthy of support
- At least 2 weeks before the award ceremony, all applicants will be notified by the head of the jury and thewinner shall be confidentially informed by the head of the jury about winning the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award
- The winner or, if unable to attend, a representative of the winning research group or project shall present thescientific and/or clinical achievements for which the award is distributed within the program of the SAKK Semi-Annual Meeting, taking place at the Marriott Hotel in Zurich on November 21st, 2019
After the winner announcement, the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award shall be distributed officially to the winner by an Astellas employee and the SAKK President
- Three weeks at most after the ceremony SAKK will transfer the prize money to the winning research group orproject
- The prize money must be used for ongoing and future research. Future evidence should be given at the next year SAKK semi-annual meeting in November with a brief presentation on how the used money has supported further research steps
Role of Astellas Pharma AG
- Astellas Pharma AG is the sole sponsor of the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award
- Astellas Pharma AG informs about the SAKK / Astellas GU-Oncology Award on its own website (astellas.ch/news), describing the award, the candidature process and the selection of the winner
- Astellas Pharma AG must not be part of the award jury and thus must not evaluate applications
- Together with the support of the SAKK an employee of Astellas Pharma AG will announce the winner together withthe jury head and hand over the award during the SAKK Semi-Annual Meeting, taking place at the Marriott Hotel in Zurich on November 21st, 2019